Friday, February 01, 2008

free music

The Free Music Philosophy (v1.4 - June 17, 1998; v1.0 - February 1, 1994)

flash forward ...

Feb. 1, 2008 11:13am

M____,

So, I finally got the Vegas Studio installed and am in the process of creating a short movie based on the DVD you created of my footage. Most of my iTunes songs are protected and cannot be used. Do you have a free online resource for music that can be used to included in Vegas?
-S____

. . .. ... ..... ........ oOo ........ ..... ... .. . .

Feb. 1, 2008 11:59am

S_____,

That is something I've been meaning to research further, but just haven't had the time. This looks like a good place to start. Or maybe creativecommons.org/audio.

I would be very interested to know if you come across any clearinghouses of either copyright-free music that can be freely used, or music licensed under copyleft or similar schemes, which are designed specifically to encourage cultural production by allowing creative works to be reused much more readily than under traditional copyright protection. I am looking for a collective like the one Musopen wants to be (but isn't; I just like the Beethoven quote front and center on their website). I did a search just now on copyleft music and found some promising plums, Opsound & easymusic.com. Right idea, but you'd have to poke around and see if they are any good. I'm sure there are others.

[Update: I made my first video with Creative Commons licensed music. I got the song from ccMixter (and I like the tag-cloud as a way into their database).

Let me know if you find anything you like; and since you brought it up, I'll probably investigate further if I have the time because as I said, I've been meaning to do so anyway. Also, feel free to shoot over miscellaneous Vegas questions, I won't mind.

M____

No comments: