Friday, November 13, 2009

Ideas from Mark Stout: A Few Things I've Learned about Evernote

Ideas from Mark Stout: A Few Things I've Learned about Evernote

Folder Watch

You can have Evernote watch a folder, and automatically suck in any file saved there. [File/Import/File Import Wizard - it will watch the folder for you, but the first time it will import all files in that folder]

That basically gives me a "Copy to Evernote" and a "Print to Evernote" ability. If I download a photo from my phone, I just save it to that folder and it is absorbed into Evernote. If I'm working in a document, I print to PDF into that folder and voila, it is in Evernote.

Mostly I use this with my Neat Company scanner. I scan to PDF, placing the PDF file into the watched folder, and it goes right into Evernote. (other posts about Neat)

Update August 6, 2009: Lifehacker just had a great idea related to this. Create shortcut to this Evernote folder and place it in your SendTo folder. That way, in Windows Explorer you can select a file, right click and send it into Evernote.

More:

When you click on a tag, you can then control-click another tag and see notes that are tagged with both tags; their intersection.

Control - semicolon - inserts date & time into your current note - great for logging actions

No comments: