Monday, June 25, 2007

Jott & Twitter

Posting to Twitter via Jott

Good evening folks. I've been getting lots of questions from my on-line buddies as to how I've gotten things setup to post from my Jott account to my twitter page.

In case you're not aware, Jott is a service that allows you to call a number from a cellular or land line based phone and have your messages transcribed into text. Twitter is a service that allows you to keep all your friends updated with what you're doing, in the manner in which they prefer with short messages via phone, IM, or web.

I've been using these two services for a few months now and decided the other day that it would be pretty cool if I could easily hook the two of them together so that I could simply call a number and post to twitter by simply speaking my mind. This turned out to be incredibly simple and required no coding at all.

Here's the deal in a nutshell.

1. Create a blog that allows for e-mail publishing and automatically creates an RSS feed for you. I use Blogger.
2. Create a Jott account and a contact in that account that posts to the e-mail address in step 1.
3. Create a twitterfeed account and setup a twitterfeed using the RSS feed from the blog in step 1 to post to your twitter page.
4. Start posting to twitter via jott.

That's pretty much it. You can see my blog that is dedicated to providing this posting capability here. This is of course different from my desire to have my twitter comments weaved into my blog posts. I'm currently archiving all of my twitters, sent via the manner describe here, or via other means, to this blog.

Eventually I'm going to use some of the "life streaming" code floating around the net to splice all of my on-line activity together. This will due for now.

Let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. If you think this post was useful, please Digg it or link to it for me. I'd like to see what happens if we get multiple people using this method.

No comments: